Firefly Camp Recipes
Carolyna's special camping recipes compiled from many great adventures from friends we met along our RV travel adventures throughout the USA.
I’ve been on a journey to discover new foods since we started our full-time RV trip through the USA. Inviting people over for a campground meal is a great way to not only make new friends and have a fun evening, but also to enjoy new delicious recipes.
While camping at Thousand Trails’s Russian River Campground, we shared a few fun BBQs with a fellow camper, Fred, who shared with us the most moist and juicy BBQ chicken I’ve EVER had. Fred named his dish Drunken Chicken! Not to be confused with beer can chicken, which is cooked with a can of beer; Fred’s secret was his special recipe for beer brine that sits in the fridge overnight and then it is marinated for another four hours. Fred likes to use a beer with citrus tones, but other lager beers will work as well. Fred also suggests when on the BBQ using apple wood chips. Apple Wood Chips are made from 100 percent natural material that infuses your favorite grilled dishes a hint of sweet, fruity flavor.. The method uses an offset closed grill but a smoker will also work.
- 1 Cup Water
- 4 tbsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 6 cups Beer –
- 1 Onion
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 Chicken Cut into pieces
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Rub
- Mix together water, salt, and brown sugar until it is dissolved. Fred used a zip lock baggie.
- Add chicken, beer, onion, lemon and pepper
- Leave in the fridge overnight or at least six hours
- Remove the chicken from the brine and rinse off with cold water
- Put the chicken in another zip lock bag with your favorite chicken rub and shake around until completely covered
- Put this bag back in the fridge for another 2-3 hours
- To cook, pre-heat the grill to 350 degrees F
- Place the chicken on the indirect side of the grill. Set up the woodchips on the hot side to create a trickling of smoke. Smoke the chicken for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees F
- Let the chicken rest a few minutes before serving