On more than a few occasions, friends we met earlier in the day while walking our dog Sparky, show up at our door for a few cold ones. It’s always a great idea to have on hand a few ingredients to make some snacks for when the unexpected friends show up at your campsite! This recipe for One Pot Camping Nachos has been a happy hour classic among our friends who love Tex-Mex. What better way to end the day than with good friends, conversation, a cold beer, warm campfire and a plate of cheesy nachos!
I love preparing food outside and be a part of the group fun, rather than inside the RV alone. A dutch oven is a great option (or cast iron skillet), for making these nachos. I hope you and your newly found friends enjoy this recipe as much as we have.
Happy Hour Campground Nachos
- 1 Dutch Oven or Cast Iron Skillet Parchment liners make clean up easy
- 1 BBQ or Campfire
- 1 Bag Tortilla Chips
- 1 Jar Mexican Salsa Mild or Spicy – your choice
- 1 Cup Mexican Shredded Cheese Blend
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Large Avocado
- 3-4 Spring Onions
- 1 bunch Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Lime cut in wedges
- Lightly oil dutch oven or line with parchment paper to prevent sticking
- For the first layer, evenly spread ⅓ of the chips into the dutch oven, topped with ¼ jar salsa, ¼ can black beans, ¼ cup cheese, and a handful of avocado, green onions, and cilantro. Repeat for the second layer.
- For the third and final layer, use the remaining ⅓ portion of chips, salsa, black beans, cheese, and the remaining avocado, onion, and cilantro.
- Cover the dutch oven and place on a metal grill over your campfire for about 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve with the lime wedges.